5 Most Common Mistakes When Reporting A Claim
Navigating the insurance claims process can be a daunting task for the uninitiated. You want to expedite the process and get the repairs you need as quickly as possible, but not at the expense of costly mistakes. Errors that can affect your coverage, cost you additional out-of-pocket expenses or even result in denial of coverage.
Unless you’ve got experience, or some expert help, filing claims, it’s easy to take a few common missteps along the way. Fortunately, there’s just that kind of expert help available at Tier 1 Collision Center. Our experienced service team members work with all major insurance providers, so they know the ropes to guide you through filing your claim.
With our assistance, you can sidestep all of the most common mistakes drivers make when filing their insurance claims. Make sure all of your I’s are dotted and t’s crossed, and speed up the process by avoiding these top 5 mistakes:
- IMPROPERLY COMPLETED CLAIM FORMS – You can easily overlook an important piece of information, or not include sufficient documentation when you aren’t already aware of what’s required. That’s where expert assistance can save you a lot of time and grief in the claims process. Knowing what info to provide, and how and where to provide it on the required forms, is an invaluable aid. Filling in all of the blanks and providing proper coding are all part of the claim process, which your Autopro experts know like the backs of their hands.
- FILING A CLAIM WITH THE WRONG INSURER – Many motorists are unaware that they have the option of receiving payment for their claim through the policy of an at-fault driver. If you’ve been involved in an accident wherein you were not at fault, you are advised to collect through the other driver’s policy rather than your own. This will avoid having an accident charged to your own policy, though you should still notify them regardless.
- NOT DOCUMENTING THE DAMAGE – In order to receive adequate coverage for your car’s repairs, it is essential that you provide detailed and accurate proof of the damage sustained. At Tier 1 Collision, we will provide you and your insurer a complete appraisal of your vehicle’s condition, including photographs to include in your claim. Our repair technicians know that much of the damage to a car or truck lies beneath the surface, where other appraisals may fall short. Make sure that all areas of your vehicle are inspected for damage before submitting your claim.
- ACCEPTING THE INSURER’S ASSESSMENT WITHOUT QUESTION – Insurance companies employ data entry clerks who handle a great many claims. They are prone to making input errors or decisions based on errant information. Your insurance provider’s judgment regarding claim amounts isn’t the final word. Mitigating circumstances or differences in damage assessment may create a gap between what you and your provider believe your compensation should be. You have the right to appeal or seek further help, through your agent or the New York Department of Insurance if you cannot agree on your claim’s disposition.
- NOT OBTAINING A POLICE REPORT – To avoid disputes in accounts of an accident involving more than one vehicle, you should get a police report that you can include in your claim. An official report from law enforcement will include any witnesses and their contact information, plus full descriptions of the accident in order to determine which driver was at fault. In the aftermath of an accident, opinions and perspectives will often vary greatly. A police report will expedite your claim by providing a detailed and comprehensive description of the accident.
The most important thing to remember about filing a claim is that you don’t have to remember everything on your own. There’s help available to you that will make the claim process less stressful and less time-consuming. When you entrust your local experts at Tier 1 to take care of your claim and your repairs, you can rest assured that you will be in caring and experienced hands.
Tier 1 Collision Center is dedicated to providing unmatched auto repair and customer service. We believe that every customer deserves to be involved and informed throughout the repair process. Our goal is to earn your trust and future business by treating you with dignity and respect, delivering unsurpassed quality and transparent service.
Call us today to schedule a free estimate. We’ll show you step-by-step how you and your car will be back on the road quickly and confidently, and ensure that you get all the insurance coverage you deserve